Sunday, September 14, 2014

Vienna: the Crossroads of Central Europe

The following entries record my experiences through a month-long program in Vienna through UC Davis Study Abroad. The course focused on  Although the following entries are part of a class assignment worth a sizable portion of our grade, I am going to try to have a lot of fun with it along the way. Although I took many notes on ideas for entries throughout the trip, the majority of the entries have been composed after the program concluded so I could better reflect and organize my thoughts while being able to more fully enjoy my time in Vienna. The posts are not in chronological order. Instead, I want to focus on the abstract. I will often write about my personal experience, but only so far as is needed to explain why I think and feel the way I do. Some of the following entries will discuss important historical figures such as Dr. Karl Lueger, some will approach cultural institutions such as the Viennese coffee house, while some will examine artistic, social, or political movements such as Jugendstil or the Protestant Reformation. Others, will approach lighter, less academic topics such as traditional Viennese pastries or public transportation. This, however, like most anything in life, is subject to change as I write.

If this trip has taught me anything, it is that that more you know about yourself, and the world around you, the less you understand. To paraphrase Jack Kerouac, I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment