Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Leopold Museum and the Jewish History Museum

I decided to talkle both of these museums in one day. In hindsight, maybe it wasn't the best idea, because it was quite exhausting. 

The Leopold Museum was wonderful. It was quite possibly my favorite in Vienna. At the start of this program, I wasn't really a fan of Klimt or Schiele, but as time went on, they found a very special place in my heart. Schiele in particular vaguely reminds me of the work of Jhonen Vasquez in terms of it's emotional aesthetic.  The Leopold Museum is entirely from a private collection, and is heavy in Klimt, Schiele, and Kokoschka. The museum captures the striking change in style of these artists that occured over the years.

My favorite pieces from the museum were Klimt's Faculty Paintings, particularly Medicine and Philosophy. At the time of writing, the screensaver on my phone is a zoomed in shot of Medicine depicting Hygieia. Unfortunately the original paintings were destroyed in WWII. Full scale, mostly black and white, photographs of the originals.


Medicine, Gustav Klimt
Philosophy, Gustav Klimt
As terrible as it is to say, I found the Jewish history museum for the most part underwhelming. I only got the see the Dorotheergasse location, and not the Judenplatz location, which probably would've been more interesting in hind sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment