Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Third Man

The Third Man is a classic noir film set in postwar Vienna. It was directed by Carol Reed and released in 1949. It is currently listed at #100 on IMDb's Top 250.

The Burg Kino on the Ringstraße shows The Third Man every Friday night at 11:00 PM. Although the movie is great (one of my favorites -- I've seen it a few times), the theatre was small and, unlike ANY theatre I had ever been to, oppressively hot, especially considering it was late in the evening.

I had dressed warmer than normal, expecting the theatre to be overly air-conditioned as you're likely to find in the US. The heat had my brow beading with sweat throughout the entire film and I actually ended up falling asleep about halfway into the film, probably because my body didn't want to be conscious in heat like that. 

Great film. Terrible theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment