Sunday, September 14, 2014

Extra Credit

Over the course of the program, we were offered extra credit opportunities for going outside of our comfort zone. Some of these were food related, while others were related to certain pieces of art and other things.


Blood pudding!
I didn't get a picture of myself eating it, but we had it twice as a group, and I definitely have witnesses. I personally wasnt a fan. the texture was just.... bleh. It was definitely hearty though, and I imagine it was a great use of blood back in the day, when iron wasn't as present in other parts of the diet as it is today.

Glasses!
I... uhh... acquired a number of souvenir glasses from the various bars, beisln, and heurigen I visited during the trip. I picked up so many glasses that I couldn't even fit all of them into my bag home. I ultimately got four home:
One of my victims
  1. a Puntigamer glass from our lodge in the Rax
  2. an Edelweiss glass from a restaurant across the street from the Zentralfriedhof
  3. a Murauer glass from a small restaurant in Melk with a beautiful view of Stiftmelk
  4. a Reininghaus glass from the restaurant we stopped at in Waidhofen an der Ybbs.
*In hindsight, I don't really remember if this was extra credit or not, but it oughta be.

Selfies!
I took a selfie with the famous painting of Napoleon in the Upper Belvedere, against the museum's rules.
I wasn't feeling ballsy enough to try taking a better one. Partial credit?

German Course!
Before leaving for Vienna, I stepped my game up from just signing up for an online course: I took GER 1 in Spring quarter before leaving for the program. It was a wonderful experience and convinced me to look further into the feasibility of declaring a mnor in German.

No comments:

Post a Comment